For people who have a vata imbalance it is important to have a diet that comprises of freshly cooked food. You need to incorporate food in the diet that in rich in proteins and in soft and mushy in texture. The use of spices should be moderate and the food needs to be eaten when it is still warm or hot. Such foods are known to calm the dosha and nourish the tissues by preventing moisture and maintaining warmth in the body. This vata pacifying recipe helps to balance the dosha.
Getting the tortillas ready
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
How to make the tortillas
- Mix the flour, oil and salt and make a dough by adding enough warm water.
- Knead the dough well and keep for ½ hour. Knead again
- Roll out the dough into 6″ diameter thin rounds with the help of a little flour.
- Cook lightly on a tava (griddle) and keep aside.
Filling for the tortillas
- 14 tsbsp of boiled and chopped asparagus
- 14 tbsp of paneer/cooking cheese
- 1 bunch of spinach balanched and chopped
- 1 tsp of grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp of chives (optional)
- 5 sprigs of spring onions – chopped and sauteed
- Salt to taste
Method to make the filling
- Mix all the ingredients and mash it
- Make 10 portions of the filling
- Take a tortilla and put 1/10th of the filling and press with another tortilla onthe top
- Repeat the step with the remaining tortillas
- Cook these on a griddle with a little bit of oil
- Cut into 4 equal pieces
- Serve with pumpkin sauce
Making the pumpkin sauce
- 3 cups red pumpkin cubes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion- greens
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 table spoons chopped walnuts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper powder to taste
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the onion greens and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin pieces, salt and 2 cups of water and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled blend to a puree
- Add the milk and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Decorate with chopped walnuts.
This article is copyright ©2013 by Omved Lifestyle Pvt.Ltd. This article may be reprinted provided that all credit information remains intact. If you wish to use this article, you must include the reprint credits that are shown on the top and the bottom of the article. If you wish to modify any aspect of the reprint credit or article, or use any other content from our blog, you must first contact us at [email protected] to request written permission.