This kapha pacifying recipe is perfect for the winters. Bajra is a nutritious ingredient that helps to lower cholestrol and blood sugar. It is also known to promote weight loss and is high in iron and rich in fiber.
What you need for the khichadi
- 250 gms of whole bajra
- 6 tbsp mung daal with skin
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- ½ cup fresh methi leaves chopped ( fenugreek leaves)
- 1 inch piece crushed ginger
- 6 tbsp ghee
- salt to taste
How to cook the khichadi
- Clean and grind the bajra in a grinder and keep aside
- Wash the ground bajra and mung daal together.
- Combine the bajra and mung daal along with the crushed ginger salt and 4 cups of water.pressure cook for 15 min or until the bajara is cooked.
- Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the cumin seeds asafoetida and chooped methi leaves. Add ½ cup of water for the methi to cook
- Add the khichdi mixture to this and mix well.
- Allow the khichdi to cook for some time and add hot water if the mixture is dry or little under cooked.
Serve hot with pumpkin raita:
What you need for the pumpkin raita
- 2 cups pumpkin cut into cubes
- 2 cups fresh curds diluted with ½ cup water
- 1 tb sp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste.
- For tempering:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad daal
- 1 /2 tsp asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
How to make the raita
- Boil the pumpkin cubes in just enough water for them to cook
- Drain the pumpkin and mash a little.
- Mix it with the diluted curd .
- Add sugar and salt to taste.
- For tempering heat the oil. add the mustard seeds. Let it sputter. Add the urad daal and let it turn to light brown. Add asafoetida and curry leaves. Take it off the fire.
- Add this tempering to the curd pumpkin mixture.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
This article is copyright ©2013 by Omved Lifestyle Pvt.Ltd. This article may be reprinted provided that all credit information remains intact. If you wish to use this article, you must include the reprint credits that are shown on the top and the bottom of the article. If you wish to modify any aspect of the reprint credit or article, or use any other content from our blog, you must first contact us at [email protected] to request written permission.