Some times it is helpful to add a bit of heat to your meals by cooking with more fresh ginger, even spicier peppers and garlic, which stimulate digestion as well as the immune system. If you have predominately pitta energy, you may want to eat these spicier foods in moderation, but they can still be a helpful addition to your diet in small doses. The basmati rice, cilantro and almonds help to balance to the heat, creating a wonderfully nourishing and very tasty meal.
What you need
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 onion chopped finely.
- 2 Leeks sliced thinly
- ¼ tsp Saffron
- 2 table spoon chopped celery
- 1 Carrot, Sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 table spoon chopped bell pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 Almonds soaked and peeled
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds
- 1 large onion chopped and sauté in very little oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 inch piece Ginger
- 1-2 green Chilies
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves chopped
- ¼ cup fresh Mint chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 piece star annise
- 1 ½ Tbs Ghee or Sunflower Oil
- 2 sticks Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom Pods
Making the biryani
- Soak the almonds for 20-30 minutes, peeling them and grinding them with all other paste ingredients
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a pot heat the ghee or oil, and add the ingredients of the tempering, when they begin to let out their aroma and you hear some crackling, reduce the flame.
- Add the onions. sauté for 4-5 minutes until they start browning
- Add the chopped bell pepper and sauté
- Add the paste and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, saffron and all the remaining vegetables.
- Add 2 cups warm water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and Enjoy
This article is copyright ©2013 by Omved Lifestyle Pvt.Ltd. This article may be reprinted provided that all credit information remains intact. If you wish to use this article, you must include the reprint credits that are shown on the top and the bottom of the article. If you wish to modify any aspect of the reprint credit or article, or use any other content from our blog, you must first contact us at [email protected] to request written permission.